17 Ways to Protect the Environment
Protect the Environment
Helping Protect the Environment does not always mean we need to completely cut something out. It is impractical to expect us as humans to shift gears 100% in a short amount of time. Some things take a process and tiny steps in the right direction are better than no steps at all. We cannot go from reliance on plastic bags to completely cutting them out (that is my opinion). Sadly they are somethings that we will have to deal with for a long time. We can minimize their impact by changing small ways of doing things.
Here’s the list:
17 Ways to Help Protect the Environment
1. Go paperless: Opt to receive online banking statements, and newsletters over snailmail.
2. Opt to have receipts emailed to you when possible over having them printed out for you at the store.
3. Start a compost heap.
4. Print double sided whenever possible to save paper.
5. If you use plastic bags, do not just throw them out after one use. Get more use out of them by using them as wastebasket liners, makeshift lunch bags, etc. At least this way they are getting more use out of them before they end up in a landfill, and it could cut down on buying or using other materials to serve the same purpose.
6. Use smaller fonts when printing so you use less paper and ink.
7. Use canvas bags when food shopping. Even having one reusable shopping bag will cut down on the number of paper or plastic bags you need.
8. Don’t use plastic or paper bags for bulky items that can be easily carried at grocery stores.
9. Run the dishwasher when it is full to be more efficient.
10. Don’t get a new cup every time you get a drink. Use the same cup throughout the day/night if you are at a party or just sitting around the house.
11. Don’t let stuff sit around until it gets thrown out. Be mindful of expiration dates and how many leftovers you have. It is wasteful to let the food expire and just throw it out.
12. One person’s trash is another person’s treasure. Sell things on eBay, Craigslist, donate, give it to friends. It doesn’t need to go to a landfill. Someone may get more use out of something extending its life.
13. Have a spring cleaning day where you go through the house and find things you do not need anymore such as old clothes and donate them. Don’t let stuff sit around until it gets to the point you just throw them out.
14. Invest in more energy efficient water saving appliances like washing machines and dishwashers.
15. Wash full loads of laundry instead of only a few items to be more efficient.
16. Pick up a piece of trash if you see it outside while running, walking, doing errands and dispose of it correctly. It will make the area look nicer and is helping the environment- Protect the Environment
17. Don’t just throw out the paper napkins you get when you go out to eat. You can use them for plenty of purposes.
Can you think of any more tips to add to this list? We’d love to hear from you!